April 7, 2014

DIY - Alexander Wang Striped Tube Dress

So I'm going to be kicking off the DIY (fashion) posts with a fairly simple one, but an easy way to update a wardrobe, or a quick fix for a thrift shop find. I was inspired by the T by Alexander Wang striped dress, the moment I saw it I thought it would be easily DIY-able. I happened to have a striped maxi dress already, and I'm loving that because stripes seem to have made a comeback this season, but any old maxi dress will do.

Inspiration

T by Alexander Wang dress


What you will need:
 - Maxi dress (I preferred to work with stretch cotton for this project)
- Sewing machine (Or a needle if you prefer hand stitching)
- Thread
- Pins
- Scissors
- Chalk

Original dress
Method:

1. The first thing I did was to put on the dress, and then decide how much I wanted to take off the length. I stood infront of a mirror and used chalk to mark the new length. Then I took off the dress and marked straight across with a tape measure, making sure it was even all the way across, and pins to mark the new hem of the dress. 

2. Next I cut the dress along where I had marked. My first tip here would be to add a few centimetres to the hem, just to have a bit of flexibility. With hemming it's important to remember you can always hem shorter but you can't add to a hem once its been cut. I also like to cut straight across the dress, while others prefer to fold in half and cut for a straighter cut. I personally think if I've gone to all the effort to measure out my hem I can slack off a bit with the cutting. 

3. Then I took the pins out and then pinned the hem to the length I wanted. Instead of folding twice to avoid a raw edge I quickly ran around the edge of the skirt with a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying. I chose to do a short hem, as I was mimicking the hem that was already there. 

4. I quickly ironed the pinned hem.

5. Next I went to my sewing machine and began to resew the hem. Starting at one side of the dress, and doubling back over the first and last stitches, and following the hem all the way around. 

6. After I had finished sewing and cut off the loose thread (and important but easily forgettable step!) a quickly ironed the hem one more time, before trying the dress on again. 

the new length
 This was a very simple and easy project, that took practically no time at all. After having a bit of a hiatus from my sewing machine it was a good project to start off with to get back into the swing of things. It was a great way to update my wardrobe, and I look forward to wearing it when the weather heats up again!


Love Lauren