May 2, 2014

Uniqlo


Taking over Australia, one store at a time.


So the other week The Emporium opened in Melbourne, the newest destination for shoppers in Melbourne’s CBD. Within its walls the Emporium boasts a number of firsts, such as the first Melbourne and Australian stores of overseas designers such as Uniqlo, Muji and Victorias Secret to name a few. While the Victoria’s Secret store will be (rather disappointingly) only selling accessories, Uniqlo has pulled out all the stops for their first Australian store. It boasts four levels, and a colour spectrum not rivaled by anyone else in Melbourne. Did they not get the memo that Melbournians only wear black? Despite this, the store has been extremely busy ever since opening day with thousands of shoppers (including myself) making the trip in to see what all of the fuss is about. I had been before in Beijing and Shanghai, but I have to say the range over in China was rather bland and disappointing. The Melbourne store definitely exceeded expectations.


I picked up a few items for myself, because their wide range of basics and great prices was just too big of an offer to refuse. The store contains a number of woolen items as well as cotton and linen basics. While it was a great shop (and haul) I can’t say I’ll be back there too often. The store has heeaapppss of basics, which was great for one trip but not enough to keep me coming back. I read that a Uniqlo design takes 1 year to make it from conception to sale floor, and with that knowledge I can see the products won’t change around to often. In some regards that is relaxing, a refreshing change to the panic of missing the latest weekly fast fashion items at Zara. I’ll be coming back for a wardrobe update, but not in the near future.

Expect some outfit posts coming soon!


What are your thoughts on Uniqlo? Brand or product wise?